brad

Re: [Brad] FW: Blender Radiance Interface II

From: Thomas Bleicher
Subject: Re: [Brad] FW: Blender Radiance Interface II
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 00:05:19 +0200

On Sat, Jul 16, 2005 at 23:36:44 +0100, Francesco Anselmo wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Sorry for the late reply, but I've taken a few days of holiday and
> haven't touched the computer during the past 2 days :D

I've just returned from 2 WEEKS internet abstinence (... but I had my
laptop under the pillow ;).

> Yep, a library would be great. Sooner or later I will integrate
> everything within b/rad ...

Everything. The Whole of Creation. Together with a tiny marker
reading "You are here" ...

Well I won't stop you.

> > Any ideas _what_ to report or how reports should look like?
>
> I would include some "metadata" like logo, project name, client, blah
> blah blah, then the luminaire schedule (taking information from the
> IES/Eulumdat files), the visualisation of lighting calculation on grids
> (illuminance, daylight factor, sun hours, etc.), the pictures from
> the selected view points.

All in all the creation of the reports will be independent of
Blender. Blender scripting might be reduced to some sort of image
generation and maybe a few statistics about the scene setup
(number of luminaires of type X etc.). I'm beginning to wonder
if the report generation should better be realized as an external
python script an Blender will only dump a few renderings and
meta information for the images.

BTW: I've installed a new version of the Reportlab doc package that
includes a manual for the Reportlab Markup Language - pure XML to
describe the contents of the PDF file. Conversion to PDF can be done
with a not-at-all-free library. If there should be the need to edit
reports later in that totally unknown word processor this might be
a way to create editable reports.

> It will be necessary to add a window/screen/widget to chose what
> to include in the report (similar to dialux ...).

Damn. I really have to order that CD to see how it came along
in the last four years since I had a look at it.

> > > https://savannah.nongnu.org/account/register.php
> >
> > I'll check it.
>
> I've seen you've subscribed to savannah. If you
> request for inclusion to the "Blended Radiance"
> group, I will be able to approve your request ...

I had to start packing for my "vacation" while I was reading
the FAQ. I'll try to make some sense of it tomorrow.

Before recoding/adding lots of features we should discuss a concept
for the basic framework (interfaces, layout elements, scene structure
etc.) to help us in structuring the code and work around some
shortcomings of the Blender API.

On the positive side I've tried out exif on Windows and after only
a few corrections and cleanups ... it simply worked! But Blender
itself has display problems on my laptop; crap OpenGL implementation
of the graphics chip/driver, I guess.

I'll prepare a few screenshots of recent additions soon.

Thomas