bna-linuxiran

RE: [linuxiran] Linux teaching website

From: Ehsan Akhgari
Subject: RE: [linuxiran] Linux teaching website
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:00:38 +0430

> Very nice tread. It's encouraging to see some new faces, who
> seem to know what they are talking about, and also have the
> willpower to pull off something. I hope this whole effort
> leads somewhere. I am personally not able to contribute
> anything right now, maybe sometime in future.

Great!  BTW, another way of contribution to Persian-Linux.org is by
referring people you know to it.  If you run a website yourself, I would
also appreciate if you can provide a link to Persian-Linux.org or (even
better) syndicate its content headlines via RSS/RDF.  If not, just referring
people to it will also help the project.

> But, here is my question, it seems the OP is designing a site
> and wants to WRITE persian Linux tutorials. Nice idea indeed,
> but my question is, why should we WRITE the tutorials? There
> are already thousands of good tutorials on the net, covering
> nearly every aspect of a Linux distribution. There is TLDP,
> with very highly technical and complete tutorials, mostly
> written by application developers themselves. If you are
> targeting beginner users, then I think we can take a look at
> Grokdoc (the sister of Groklaw) which is producing some very
> easy-to-understand tutorials. Others also exist, like the
> Linux CookBook (Debian-based, but still a very nice book) and
> many other Open Source tutorials and some Open Source books
> (The Bruce Perence Open Source series comes to mind).

Yes, I'm aware of these sources (except Grekdoc; thanks for mentioning it!)
and they have been and continue to be the main way of learning Linux for me.
When I talked about "writing", I didn't have writing from scartch in mind.
It would also be very nice if we have translated tutorials, because the main
target of the site is providing Persian Linux tutorials, not "writing"
Persian Linux tutorials.  Sorry if my wording has caused this
misunderstanding.  For the records, the command line tutorials I'm writing
are based upon the book Unix Made Easy by John Muster.  Of course it's not a
translation per se, but I'm borrowing some of the ordering of topics and
methods of presentation from that book.

> The most important thing that I learned from Open Source
> Software, is not to reinvent the wheel. The whole evolution
> of science is made possible my building upon the works of
> others. I say, find some good tutorials, start translating
> them, and put them in a good and easy-to-navigate website,
> and voilĂ , you have made a great contribution. I don't feel
> excited about writing everything from scratch.

I don't want to impose any rules on Persian-Linux.org.  Any kind of
contribution (written from scratch, translated, or work based upon existing
tutorials) would be great.  You indeed raise a valid concern, and I
appreciate it, and hope anyone who wishes to contribute would think about
your statements.

Thanks for your notes,
Ehsan Akhgari

Learn Linux in Persian: http://www.persian-linux.org/