bna-linuxiran

Re: [linuxiran] Any good email security mailing list?!!

From: Aryan Ameri
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 01:13:41 +0200

On Saturday 17 January 2004 22:16, ocean wrote:
> Hi
>
> Might seem a stupid question to ask here..
> But some time ago when I was surfing download.com I
> came across a software which claimed to be capable of
> informing you when your email has been opened by the
> recipient!! I've forgotten the name of the software
> and I don't know exactly where I should post this
> rather ODD question so...
> Is it possible or it's just an illusion?
>
> Cheers

Yes, Farid, Arash's response was more than perfect, but let me add my
two cents:

Hadn't I known you, I would have immediately thought you were a spammer.
As Arash explained this is exactly how spammers check the validity of
the address.

Of course there is no guarantee that it will work, and indeed I think it
won't work on any Linux email client. Since I think Linux develpers
haven't still lost their sanity and actively show html code in email
client and call it 'user friendlt'.

Outlook Express and Outlook as well as these web email account providers
like yahoo and hotmail are the only ones that I know that actively show
the html code. Even if I underestand correctly, Microsoft is changing
this behaviour, and the outlook express in Windows XP SP2 (comming this
summer) defaults not to show html code. Which should have always been
the default.

I hope this nasty litlle trick (pointing the email reader to
automatically activate a cgi script) will disappear soon, because I see
that people are at last comming to the conclusion that html shouldn't
have been placed in email readers from the start.

Cheers

PS: You asked for a mailing list for scurity related questions. Though
there are plenty such lists, I don't think it's inappropriate to
discuss such matters here. It's not really off-topic.

Cheers

--
/*  Trademarks, Copyrights, Patents, etc are all loans from the public
domain. They are not a property ('intellectual' or otherwise.) */

Aryan Ameri