bbdb-user

Re: updating, confused

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: Re: updating, confused
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2018 13:51:24 -0500

On Mon Sep 3 2018 Greg Troxel wrote:
> Then, I switched to the git repo at
>
>   https://git.savannah.nongnu.org/git/bbdb.git

This is where development happens.  You also get BBDB 3 from GNU
Elpa, plus other sites that I do not keep track of.

> 1) Is this list functioning?  Apparently I was subscribed, but I don't
> recall any traffic.

Lately, it is indeed a list with low traffic.  People seem to be
mostly happy with BBDB 3  :-)

> 2) Perhaps my old config is wrong for new bbdb, and I haven't
> really dug through it, but I'm a) not having it work and b)
> finding that gnus displaying messages is often hanging (but I'm
> not sure why).

If you used BBDB v2, then, I am sorry, you need to review your
configuration carefully.  BBDB v3 has been essentially a complete
re-write of BBDB.  Most configuration variables have changed.
Personally, I recommend to browse the pretty complete list of user
variables at the beginning of bbdb.el.  (Few add-ons in the BBDB
repo have their specific user variables at the beginning of the
respective files.)  Other users who are upgrading their
configuration prefer

  https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/UpgradeBBDB

> 3) In savannah's download page, I see 3.1, 3.1.1, and 3.1.2.  But I
> don't see any tags in the git repo.

That's correct.  (My knowledge of git is limited.  I do not use all
of its fancy features.)

> 4) Is 3.1.2 really the latest release?

Yes. -- For some time there has been no proper resease.  I believe,
most users get BBDB from its git repo, from GNU Elpa or some similar
sites.  There is also a debian package based on the git repo.

> Is there some easy way to get it from git?

To check it out, use
git clone git://git.savannah.nongnu.org/bbdb.git

> Is this commit the release?
>
> commit 73aa98d65bc71ba1a19af59c3d839fda4b9f02c3
> Author: Roland Winkler <address@hidden>
> Date:   Sun Apr 27 15:05:20 2014 -0500

I believe yes.  But you should be safe if you just get the code from
the git repo.  (This list has been quiet because I believe there are
currently no significant bugs.)

Roland