[Axiom-mail] A problem with the "resultant" function

From: Gabriel Pires
Subject: [Axiom-mail] A problem with the "resultant" function
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 21:08:12 -0300

Good evening,

I've been experiencing a hard time using the resultant function.

The resultant between two univariative polynomials can be defined as the determinant of the Sylvester Matrix of said polynomials (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvester_matrix).

That being said, it should be always posible to find out the resultant of two polynomials.

So, I've been trying to find out 2 polynomials, f(x) and g(x), that satisfy:

  1. f(x) should be of degree n, monic and irreducible over the integers.
  2. g(x) should be of degree at most n, and its coefficients should vary from a determined range.
  3. resultant(f, g) should be a prime number
My algorithm should first choose an satisfying f(x) and then sample random g(x) that satisfies the second condition until it gets a prime resultant.

I'm sending an input to show how I'm trying to achieve this, and hopefully, enlight about my problem.

That being said, I'm having trouble trying to execute my algorithm as I end up with a message like "can't find a definition or applicable library (...) with arguments Polynomial Integer and Polynomial Integer". I'm sending a picture of the error as well.

But, if I try to calculate the resultant of the same 2 polynomials, with the same types and all, I can do it, without a problem!

The trickier part is that sometimes the input runs without a problem, and sometimes it doesn't.

This problem is killing me as I can't figure out why I'm getting this.

I'm sending both the .input with all needed and the screen with the error.

If anyone needs any further information, you can ask, I'm about to go and define the Sylvester Matrix of them myself, but can't figure why it works sometimes...

Best regards.