Re: [Axiom-mail] Generating rules in functions or macros

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] Generating rules in functions or macros
Date: 29 Jul 2008 07:12:38 +0200

Gerald Knizia <address@hidden> writes:

> Is there some way to accomplish something like that? Am I missing something
> important in they way axiom works? If using functions or macros above does
> not seem to make any difference.

Maybe you are looking for

eval(expr, [kernel=replacement])

or

eval(expr, operator, arglist +-> transformation(arglist))

eg:

(1) -> f := operator 'f

   (1)  f
                                                          Type: BasicOperator
(2) -> eval(x*f(x), [f(x)=g])

   (2)  g x
                                                     Type: Expression Integer
(3) -> eval(x*f(x), f, l +-> z)

   (3)  x z
                                                     Type: Expression Integer

(note that in the results blanks denote multiplication, not application...)

Martin