[Axiom-mail] Axiom programs which include functions?

From: Alasdair McAndrew
Subject: [Axiom-mail] Axiom programs which include functions?
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 00:39:15 +1000

Hi,

I can write (simple) Axiom programs for which the parameters are all numbers, but what if the parameters include a function?  Suppose I wished to write a program to, say, solve the equation f(x)=0 by the bisection method, and I wanted to call it as

bisect(f,a,b)

where [a,b] brackets a solution.  How do I do this?  And in what form does Axiom like its functions in such a program?

Thanks,
Alasdair