Re: [Axiom-mail] Setting elements in a matrix

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] Setting elements in a matrix
Date: 29 Feb 2008 09:27:45 +0100

"Fabio S." <address@hidden> writes:

> I am sorry, but I can't understand why I am not able to change the elements
> of a square matrix.

This is a consequence of SquareMatrix not inheriting from MatrixCategory.
Very likely, setelt was simply forgotten.

You have three possibilities:

a)

  (6) -> setelt(n := (m::MATRIX INT), 1,1, 1783)

     (6)  1783
                                                          Type: PositiveInteger
  (7) -> n

          +1783  2+
     (7)  |       |
          + 3    4+
                                                           Type: Matrix Integer
  (8) -> m

          +1  2+
     (8)  |    |
          +3  4+
                                                  Type: SquareMatrix(2,Integer)

  So you will have to convert n back to SQMATRIX(2, INT).

b) make SQMATCAT inherit from MATCAT.  I have indicated how to do this on
   fricas-devel, I believe.  Unfortunately, my laptop with the appropriate
   modifications is currently broken, and will not be available until next
   week, I guess.  (Stupid me: the last version of the poset package is also on
   that laptop, along with several other things I miss a bit...)

   Very likely, this will only be easy in FriCAS, since you have to rebuild the
   databases from scratch.

c) wait for somebody else (me) to do (b).  I think it will be ready around
   easter or so.

Martin