[Axiom-mail] Two file handling questions

From: Alasdair McAndrew
Subject: [Axiom-mail] Two file handling questions
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 23:27:57 +1000

1)  I can never get the )cd command to work.  If I type )cd on its own, I am told that

"The current AXIOM default directory is /home/amca/".

 If I then type )cd ProgramFiles/Axiom, I get told that

">> System error:
   #p"/home/amca/" is not of type SEQUENCE."

What's going on here?  (I can set my directory in my .axiom.input file, but sometimes I'd like to change my directory from within Axiom).

2)  I am looking at using Axiom next semester for an introductory cryptography subject (classical cryptosystems, number theory and RSA, El Gamal etc, digital signature algorithms, hash functions, DES and AES).  This will entail using Axiom under windows.  Ideally I'd like to be able to grab files from two directories: a network directory writable only by me, but readable by everybody, and the students' own directories.  Can this be done?

Thanks,
Alasdair