Re: [Axiom-mail] Going mad with pattern matching

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] Going mad with pattern matching
Date: 30 May 2007 18:53:03 +0200

"Alasdair McAndrew" <address@hidden> writes:

> I've become much fonder of HyperDoc, especially since editing the X
> resources to use nicer fonts!  But, for example, "suchThat" in the search
> page of HyperDoc produces no results.  Neither does "Ruleset".  Maybe my
> HyperDoc has been incompletely generated?

Which flavour of axiom do you use? I recommend wh-sandbox, as you may know.
Another possibility is that you accidentally hit the wrong button or mistyped
the function: suchThat is an operation, and you need to capitalize correctly,
for example.

> > Well, in my opinion the ultimative source of documentation is HyperDoc.
> > Since it is dynamically generated, you will find every function there.  And
> > if a function is not meant for the "casual" user, the documentation should
> > say so.  (For example, some functions are exported only because of a
> > compiler bug.)

There is another important hint: unexposed functions are sometimes for more
advanced usage, or because of compiler restrictions.  In practice, unexposed
means, that you need to package call the function.

In the case of applyRules, you really should use elt.

All the best,

Martin