[Axiom-mail] comparison operators and %pi

From: Sumant S.R. Oemrawsingh
Subject: [Axiom-mail] comparison operators and %pi
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 17:31:42 +0200

Hi guys,

I just tried axiom today for the first time, since it appears quite
powerful. This of course means I'm a total newbie, so I've tried searching
for the problem that I have through the archives, without luck.

I'm trying to define a piecewise function, and I didn't manage. I could
track the problem down to this expression in the predicate: x < %pi.

This will simply not evaluate when I call the function.
If I just type in:
1 < %pi
I get the following message:

      UnivariatePolynomialMultiplicationPackage
   There are 4 exposed and 1 unexposed library operations named <
      having 2 argument(s) but none was determined to be applicable.
      Use HyperDoc Browse, or issue
                                )display op <
      to learn more about the available operations. Perhaps
      package-calling the operation or using coercions on the arguments
      will allow you to apply the operation.

   Cannot find a definition or applicable library operation named <
      with argument type(s)
                               PositiveInteger
                                     Pi

      Perhaps you should use "@" to indicate the required return type,
      or "$" to specify which version of the function you need.

So when I try to evaluate the function at some integer point, I get this
same message. The same holds for a Fraction Integer.

However, Float (1.1 < %pi) and AlgebraicNumber (sqrt(2) < %pi) work
properly. Nevertheless, I want to evaluate the function at any point and get
a symbolic answer instead of Float->Float. What can I do?

Thanks a lot!

Sumant