RE: [Axiom-mail] DIOSP package

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-mail] DIOSP package
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 12:03:39 -0400

On March 19, 2007 12:23 AM Gerald Farmer wrote:

> Thanks for any information that you can provide on this topic.
>
> I would like to use  the DiophantineSolutionPackage (DIOSP) to
> solve  some equations.  I don't know how and the information
> that I have found is too cryptic for me to decipher.  A single
> example would be much appreciated.

You probably already have the source code and associated
documentation but for reference you can access it online here:

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/axiom--test--1/src/algebra/SolvedioSpad

The author of the package, Albrecht Fortenbacher has a related
publication:

@article{DBLP:journals/jsc/ClausenF89,
  author    = {Michael Clausen and
               Albrecht Fortenbacher},
  title     = {Efficient Solution of Linear Diophantine Equations.},
  journal   = {J. Symb. Comput.},
  volume    = {8},
  number    = {1/2},
  year      = {1989},
  pages     = {201-216},
  bibsource = {DBLP, http://dblp.uni-trier.de}
}

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?coll=GUIDE&dl=GUIDE&id=70576

See also:

http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/249287.html

and related citations. Unfortunately I was not able to find any of
these online.

In Axiom you can use DIOSP like this:

(1) -> dioSolve(x+2*y+3*z=4)

   (1)  [varOrder= [x,y,z],inhom= [[0,2,0],[1,0,1],[2,1,0],[4,0,0]],hom= []]

Type: Record(varOrder: List Symbol,
  inhom: Union(List Vector NonNegativeInteger,"failed"),
  hom: List Vector NonNegativeInteger)

Regards,
Bill Page.