Re: [Axiom-mail] Axiom Volume 1: Tutorial

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] Axiom Volume 1: Tutorial
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 13:57:46 -0800 (PST)

--- Bill Page <address@hidden> wrote:

> Axiom Users;
>
> I just received my printed copy of "Axiom - The 30 Year
> Horizon, Volume 1: Tutorial" by Timothy Daly from Lulu.com.
> See:
>
> http://www.lulu.com/content/190827
>
> I think it looks very good. Thanks, Tim!

Cool!

> The format and printing style remind me of my soft cover copy
> of "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" - it's definitely not a
> leather bound collectors' edition but I rather like Jocelyn
> Guidry's artwork on the front cover. For a mere $15 I think
> this volume is very "serviceable" and it should help to make
> the tutorial content more accessible new users of Axiom.

Heh - when we get Axiom to the point of something like TeX where the
core libraries are finished, debugged, and robust we can produce an
Axiom Gold hardbound edition for libraries to pick up :-).

Which reminds me, actually - does anybody here know anything about
cl-typesetting?  When looking into the GUI question it became apparent
to me that quite a lot of typesetting abilty is required for anything
"professional" looking, and the logical place to start is the
cl-typesetting code, which is already capable of some fairly
interesting things, and can probably be used for interactive as well as
static documents, given a proper design of an interactive notebook
environment.  Unfortunately it's almost completely undocumented :-(.
I've got a copy of TeX - The Program on order so perhaps I'll be able
to "re-implement" the ideas of TeX using lisp and starting with
cl-typesetting.  From a few scattered conversations in usenet I get the
idea that lout might also have some useful ideas.  The real fun, of
course, would be to be able to view and edit Axiom pamphlets in a GUI
editor, but that's a looong ways down the road since it would require
the ability to completely parse TeX and LaTeX.  On the other hand, it
probably isn't as hard to reimplement as it was to invent...

http://www.bookfinder4u.com/IsbnSearch.aspx?isbn=141166597X&mode=direct

> or (because it has an official ISBN 141166597X) even from your
> university bookstore.
>
> I highyly recommend it. Order your copy today! :)

Cool!  I got a Barnes and Noble gift certificate over the holidays, so
that would be a great way to use it!

Cheers,
CY