[Axiom-mail] beginner question about sum(...)

From: Kostas Oikonomou
Subject: [Axiom-mail] beginner question about sum(...)
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 11:07:55 -0500

I am trying to make Axiom evaluate sum(1/k^2, k=1..n).  It returns the sum
unevaluated.  I suspect that I should be using the sum functions defined
in package SUMRF, RationalFunctionSum, but how do I make Axiom use those
functions?  For example, I tried

(1) -> sum(1/k^2, k=1..n)$SUMRF

   Although RationalFunctionSum is the name of a constructor, a full
      type must be specified in the context you have used it. Issue
      )show RationalFunctionSum for more information.
(1) ->

I don't understand what I have to do here.  My understanding of Axiom's types,
domains, and packages is limited, but shouldn't sum(...) be smart enough by
itself
to invoke the right "sum"?

                                        Kostas