[Axiom-mail] Re: Axiom, Rosetta and Quantian

From: A.J. Rossini
Subject: [Axiom-mail] Re: Axiom, Rosetta and Quantian
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 21:12:20 -0800

Dirk Eddelbuettel <address@hidden> writes:

>> As an interesting aside, one of my religious beliefs about this whole
>> Computational Mathematics area is that we have to start combining the
>> research papers with the code. The first cut I've made at this is to
>> use Knuth's literate programming tools (actually, Norman Ramsey's
>> noweb version). I believe that unless we keep the research with the
>> code we won't be able to maintain and modify these systems.
>
> You'd get on well with Tony Rossini who is also a huge fan of lit.prog. and
> noweb :)

Correct.  Best reference is my 2001 conference paper on Literate
Statistical Analysis, which formed the basis for Sweave and a general
movement in this area.

 http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/Conferences/DSC-2001/Proceedings/Rossini.pdf

and

 http://www.bepress.com/uwbiostat/paper194/

> R (www.r-project.org) has a most useful extension called Sweave you may like
> (do some casual googling). Works in Quantian as shipped.
>
>> What's that got to do with Quantian? Two things are related.
>>
>> Dr. Traverso at the University of Pisa in Italy is trying to create
>> a Journal based on a similar idea where you submit papers that include
>> the source code. Quantian would be an ideal way to "provide a base"
>> for people to execute the embedded code. Ideally you could just
>> "drag and drop" the paper onto one of the systems and run the code but
>> that is a long way in the future.

You need to have him look at the Compendium concept (Literate
Statistical Analysis extended to be a package including data, code,
and description), which is a nice idea (from Robert Gentleman and
Duncan Temple-Lang).

No reference yet, but soon...

best,
-tony

--
address@hidden            http://www.analytics.washington.edu/
Biomedical and Health Informatics   University of Washington

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachments may be
confidential and privileged. If you received this message in error,
please destroy it and notify the sender. Thank you.