Re: [Axiom-mail] What is the meaning of time output

From: themos
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] What is the meaning of time output
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:27:14 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Elias P. TSIGARIDAS wrote:

> First of all
> I am sorry for the multiple mails during the last few days :-)
>
> Can anyone tell me the meaning of IN, EV and OT
> in the following output ?
>
> Time: 0.15 (IN) + 0.13 (EV) + 0.26 (OT) + 0.31 (GC) = 0.85 sec

IN stands for interpreter: This is the time spent figuring out the types,
selecting appropriate functions from the library database, selecting
coercions and such things.

EV stands for evaluation: This is simply the time spent in AXIOM library
code

OT stands for other time: mainly printing the result

GC stands for garbage collection.

It seems that IN time includes library code time for whatever functions
the interpreter will call (map, convert, coerce, and such like). For
instance, if there is a convert function in D(P) (with signature % ->
Fraction P), we can call it with

g::FRAC P

or

convert(g)$D(P)

In the first case, the convert time will be reported in IN, in the second
the time will be reported in EV.

Themos Tsikas