Re: [Axiom-mail] Axiom and OpenMath/MathMl

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] Axiom and OpenMath/MathMl
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 21:23:18 -0800 (PST)

--- Bill Page <address@hidden> wrote:
[snip]

> An OpenMath 1.0 Implementation
>
> Abstract
>
> The first official version of the OpenMath specification was
> released in December. This paper presents the first imple-
> mentation of this standard, in the form of a C library. To
> ensure a faithful realization, a second, independent imple-
> mentation with the same api was built using Aldor (A#)...

Could Axiom use a C implimentation of such a library, or would it need
a lisp version?

> Finally, to ask a direct question: I was wondering what
> level of support/encouragement for doing something with
> open source Axiom and OpenMath among the potential
> Axiom volunteer developers? I think Tim Daly has already
> (more or less) cast his vote in favor of doing the text
> interface first (of course) and then a LaTex-oriented
> interface for graphical output along the lines of the
> old NAG techexplorer GUI. Right Tim? What do other people
> here think?

My personal opinion, for what it's worth, is that openmath is indeed
worth supporting, but it is not yet mature enough to justify a massive
push to use it first.

I have some slight confusion here - my understanding was that OpenMath
wasn't interface related so much as it is a tool for communication
between different systems.  If your question is GUI work vs.
communication work, I'd most definitely say GUI first.  Presentation
MathML as an output format makes a lot of sense to support, since it
is/will be a standard for math display in modern browsers, but
otherwise I'd say wait on inter-system communication issues until Axiom
itself is a reasonably stable, functioning package with a decent GUI.
This is more or less the approach the Maxima project is taking, so I
admit I'm biased.  I guess it depends on what the potential user base
desires.

CY