[Axiom-mail] Questions about data feedback from graph manipulation in gn

From: C Y
Subject: [Axiom-mail] Questions about data feedback from graph manipulation in gnuplot
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 12:08:42 -0800 (PST)

Hi!  Firstoff, thanks for all the work being done on Axiom.  It's truly
amazing.

I note in the task list that you are planning to migrate some plot
functionality to gnuplot.  I had a couple questions related to that,
and I apologize in advance if they are silly/not yet relevant.

First question:  Does Axiom intend to use the interactive rotation and
pm3d abilities of gnuplot on Windows? Last I heard (which was
admittedly a while ago) those abilities exited only on the X11 version,
and only in cvs.  An extension to Windows would be really neat.  (Well,
for Windows users anyway.)

Second question:  What precisely do you plan for the feedback featues,
or rather what gets fed back to the system?  I'm hoping this means if
one rotates a graph in gnuplot the computer algebra system knows about
the change in perspective, scale, etc.  The reason is that if one wants
to print out a document with a gnuplot graph in it, the program can
generate the postscript/pdf/image version of the graph as it appears
onscreen, rather than reverting to defalts.  In my version of gnuplot,
if you change the viewing direction in the X window, gnuplot doesn't
remember that when you close it, set terminal postscript, and generate
a file - it reverts back to the default view.  I don't know if the
gnuplot.lisp interface in clocc can handle this kind of stuff; maybe it
would help, but my guess is gnuplot would need to play along.  Is that
what you had in mind?

Third question:  Will it be possible at some point to embed gnuplot
windows into TeXmacs documents and have them be interactive?

Anyway, I'll stop annoying people now.  I realize this is probably not
on the radar screen for quite a while, but I thought I'd ask what the
long term plans were as far as Axiom and Gnuplot were concerned.

Thanks,
CY