axiom-legal

[Axiom-legal] make, GCL, readline, GPL and BSD etc.

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-legal] make, GCL, readline, GPL and BSD etc.
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 11:49:31 -0500

Tim,

I noticed that in the most recent lsp/Makefile.pamphlet
you still specify --enable-readline but now that you
have included clef, it seems to me that this is not
necessary. As I understand it, clef provides the same
(or better) functionality as readline.

I think removing readline from the GCL build for Axiom is
desirable since readline is GPL. So using --enable-readline
technically makes AXIOM GPL too, i.e. non-BSD.

In fact, it occurs to me that maybe clef is a possible
solution for GCL as well. If clef (or a slightly modified
version of clef) could be integrated with GCL, then I think
GCL could become purely BSD. Many people (except perhaps
Richard Stalman <grin>) would seem to prefer GCL to be
more free than what GPL allows.

Cheers,
Bill Page.