axiom-legal

RE: [Axiom-legal] RE: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Maxima] Re: GCL used commer

From: Stavros Macrakis
Subject: RE: [Axiom-legal] RE: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Maxima] Re: GCL used commercially?
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 10:55:47 -0400

Stallman:
> non-free projects... never deserve our cooperation.
> They deserve to be replaced with free software.

Macrakis:
> > The LGPL defends our work very nicely without constraining others'
> > work.  That is good enough for me.

Mentré:
> I do not like at all that some people could do some proprietary
> software (i.e. their work) using *my* free software work.

That is precisely the difference between your position and mine.  Though
I would *prefer* that others contribute free software, I am happy to
have them write proprietary software on top of my free software.  In
fact, that is part of its freedom.  Similarly, I expect to be able to
use proprietary modules in my free software.  I would consider it
grossly unethical (and probably illegally anti-competitive) for a vendor
of proprietary software to forbid me to link my free software to their
proprietary software.

All that being said, I am not really interested in pursuing this
discussion further.  I think everyone has laid out his or her position
clearly.

      -s