axiom-developer

Re: [Axiom-developer] parametricity

From: Frank Pfenning
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] parametricity
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2018 20:18:33 -0500

I don't see where parametricity is stated in this note; you'll have to be more
specific.

Reynolds credits Christopher Strachey for distinguishing ad hoc
and parametric polymorphism.  What Reynolds realized and proved is the
parametricity theorem: every function in the polymorphic lambda calculus
(and a few other type constructors) is parametric.  Giving a technical
formulation of this (related values of related types are mapped to related
results) is a major advance in our understanding of how to reason about
programming languages as a whole and individual programs, too.  Among
other things, data abstraction (a concept Reynolds certainly did not invent)
is a consequence of the parametricity theorem.

  - Frank