auctex-devel

Re: Making AUCTeX ELPA releases from the master branch

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Making AUCTeX ELPA releases from the master branch
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 10:38:01 -0400

>> The "%H" above makes it output the commit hash where `Version:` was
>> changed, so you can replace that with an appropriate % thingy to get
>> the date instead.
> Why would I need the date of the last release?

Don't know.  I guess I misundersood what you meant by:

    Instead of looking at specially formatted lines in ChangeLog, it just
    looks at the git diffs to check when there was a "+;; Version: ..."
    change in auctex.el.  ...

Why do you need to look at diffs?

> Oh, no, one thing doesn't: the fine manuals.  I've changed it so that
> they stay in doc/ and there's also the dir file referencing the auctex
> and preview-latex manual.  Do they need to be top-level for elpa (in
> which case I'd just add an elpa make target doing the move) or can I
> somehow make that work?

Indeed, they need to be moved: `package.el` won't see your manual if the
`dir` is not in the top-level directory (and the Info viewer won't
search in subdirs, so either you need the Info files to be at top-level
or you need to change the `dir` file so it refers to `doc/auctex`).

Our tarball build scripts can take care of building the Info files and
the `dir` (and moving them as needed), so maybe you can just add

    :manual ("doc/auctex.texi" "doc/preview-latex.texi")

to the spec and that'll do the trick (with the advantage that the
manual will then also be made available at
`elpa.gnu.org/packages/doc/auctex.html`).

        Stefan