auctex-devel

Re: Showing Changes for ELPA releases

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: Showing Changes for ELPA releases
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2024 12:50:07 +0200

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> It's basically a fineer-grained version of changes.texi, right?

Yes.

> So basically we could write CHANGELOG.org and summarize that in
> changes.texi before a tarball release.

Again, yes, that was my thinking.

> Well, but then the changes in the manual would be incomplete in the ELPA
> releases.  So we might as well start documenting changes
> micro-version-wise in changes.texi and then use the generated CHANGES
> text file for ELPA¹.  That would omit duplication.

My only concern here is that the manual is already (daunting) 151 pages
long.  I'm reluctant about making it grow fast by this sort of details.
My vote is to maintain an extra file and for the tarball release,
copy/paste the most important entries into changes.texi; we can add a
sentence there that CHANGELOG.org contains more details.  Or drop that
section completely from now and point to the new file?

> ¹ This assumes that we start to do ELPA releases from the master branch
>   where our normal build procedure is performed to produce the ELPA
>   release tarball.  I haven't had the time to bring that topic up in a
>   separate thread but will do so ASAP.

Thanks, and no rush.

Best, Arash