auctex-devel

Re: [Announcement] Feature branch merged

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: [Announcement] Feature branch merged
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2024 16:05:44 +0900

Hi Arash, thanks for your feedback.

> One issue pointed out by users is/was that AUCTeX takes over the
> standard LaTeX mode once installed; this can be circumvented by setting
> `TeX-modes' accordingly.  Now people can also set
> `major-mode-remap-alist', and I suspect with something like this:

>   (setq major-mode-remap-alist '((latex-mode . latex-mode))

That would blow away other entries in `major-mode-remap-alist'. I think
it should be
(setq major-mode-remap-alist
      (delete '(latex-mode . LaTeX-mode) major-mode-remap-alist))
instead.

> If so, should we document this more prominently, maybe under 1.2.4

Hmm, your point is that users should have alternative way to have
control over which mode is to be activated? Then I'm fine with it,
though it hardly makes difference from customizing `TeX-modes' actually.
(The above code is essentially what `TeX-modes-set' does according to
`TeX-modes' value.)

> And then loading AUCTeX LaTeX mode is done with 'M-x LaTeX-mode RET'?

Yes, that would activate AUCTeX LaTeX mode even when
`major-mode-remap-alist' lacks the entry.

> Again, many thanks for working on this.

You're welcome!

Regards,
Ikumi Keita