auctex-devel

Re: AUCTeX and "builtin latex mode" integration

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: AUCTeX and "builtin latex mode" integration
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 15:18:50 -0400

>>> (a-2) Now `TeX-add-local-master' adds entry of new mode names such as
>>> %%% Local Variables:
>>> %%% mode: LaTeX      <-- not `latex'
>>> %%% End:
>
>> I don't like this very much: IMO the `mode:` cookie should really not specify
>> the "mode" to use but rather describe the file-type (Emacs could/should
>> aim to support "mime types" kind of names), and then which mode to use
>> for each file-type is decided based on the user's configuration.
>
> I understand your preferance, but I think such discrimination can't be
> much rigorous in practical situations. For example, ConTeXt mode doesn't
> have overlapped mode, so it's most natural to have

Indeed which symbol is used as *the* file-type is somewhat arbitrary.
In the case of ConTeXt, it makes sense to use `ConTeXt-mode`.

And I'd agree that there's also a good case to be made for `LaTeX-mode`,
but history (and general Emacs practice of using lowercase symbols) is
arguing fairly strongly in favor of `latex-mode`.

        Stefan