auctex-devel

Re: AUCTeX and "builtin latex mode" integration

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: AUCTeX and "builtin latex mode" integration
Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 20:09:59 +0900

Hi Arash,

> Yes, it was about "Unfriendly take-over of AUCTeX once installed", but I
> think somewhere in the discussion, there was also sort of
> "latex-mode-hook vs. LaTeX-mode-hook is confusing".

I haven't arrived at such claims yet.

> I was thinking about the mode names only; and not the namespace for
> functions/variables and the file names.  Suppose the major mode is
> called AUCLaTeX-mode, then we have `AUCLaTeX-mode-hook' and we then
> define an alias `LaTeX-mode-hook' for a certain period of time.  Does
> this make sense?

Do you mean that new prefix is used for only mode/hook/keymap/syntax
table/abbrev table names and `LaTeX-mode-hook' etc. will be removed in
future?
Hmm. That might be a possible option, but it doesn't seem clean to me.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine