aps-devel

Re: [aps-devel] From source?

From: Wolfgang Jaehrling
Subject: Re: [aps-devel] From source?
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 21:24:22 +0100

On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 07:03:18PM -0200, Lalo Martins wrote:
> You (plural) seem to be planning to host some portion of the development on
> GNU/Linux, so rest assured there *will* be a Linux port of aps.

What does developing some components on GNU/Linux have to do with a
port to GNU/Linux?

> Automatic updates are a BAD THING.

ACK.

> However I (and perhaps Wolfgang?) am more interested in the fact that the
> use of this system results in an OS, and this OS seems to be, alas, GNU.

Absolutely.

> So, unless we decide to start another project, we will have to discuss here
> some things that aren't really related to package management, too - for
> example, the hot topic of initialization and shutdown, daemon control
> policies, etc.  I hope that's ok.

I would hope that the GNU system uses the `dmd' program I am writing
for service management.  The name stands for `Daemon Managing Daemons'
(or `Daemons-Managing Daemon', I'm not sure).  I will release a new
version of it in a few days.

Cheers,
GNU/Wolfgang