alsa-xmms-user

[Alsa-xmms-user] Problem with endianness

From: Ondrej Certik
Subject: [Alsa-xmms-user] Problem with endianness
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 05:52:49 -0700 (PDT)

> > Do you have any suggestions where the problem with
> > a noisy beginning of some songs I described
> > in the last email could be?
> >
> I have no idea. Can you try other alsa players like
> alsaplayer ?

Unfortunately not, since they have the same problem.
:-( And I am glad that xmms functions now, so I am not
really interested in finding a bug in their player.

But it seems to me, like if xmms is trying to play
some old audio data at the beginning of a song,
because when I switch between ogg files I sometimes
hear a bit of the old song at the beginning (I am
quite sure about it, although it is only for a few
miliseconds). But when
I switch from wav to ogg, the endiannes of the old
data
in the buffer is wrong, since the new data are
big-endian and the old data from wav are
little-endian.
So after switching from wav to ogg, I sometimes hear
the noise caused by wrong endiannes.

Maybe I am completely mistaken, but still, do you
think
that something like this is possible in xmms?
That it forgets to remove old data from some buffer?
Or
is it easy to implement for example that the buffer
would be cleaned everytime I switch to a new song,
just
to test that this really is the case?

Well, it could be a bug in the alsa driver as well,
so maybe I could try to deinicialize and initialize
alsa everytime I switch between songs, just to be sure
that the problem is in the alsa driver and not in the
xmms.

If you have any suggestions what (and how) from this
should I test, it would be great.

Thanks
Ondrej Certik

P.S. I am not on the list, so please send me a CC.