alsa-xmms-user

Re: [Alsa-xmms-user] Problem with endiannes

From: Ville Syrjälä
Subject: Re: [Alsa-xmms-user] Problem with endiannes
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 10:39:36 +0300

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 07:31:46AM -0700, Ondrej Certik wrote:
> When I play wav files in xmms, everything is OK, but
> when I play ogg/mp3 file I hear loud random noise.
> The problem is with endiannes, because when I switched
> the endiannes of the audio data in the sources in
> alsa-xmms (in the output
> function), ogg/mp3 were ok, but wav caused random
> noise.

Wavs are little-endian aren't they?
So you changed
  case FMT_S16_LE:
-   alsa_format = SND_PCM_FORMAT_S16_LE;
+   alsa_format = SND_PCM_FORMAT_S16_BE;

so the MPEG decoder claims to output little-endian data while in fact it
outputs big-endian. I wonder why it works with OSS.

--
Ville Syrjälä
address@hidden