adonthell-artwork

[Adonthell-artwork] Re: More gfx conventions

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-artwork] Re: More gfx conventions
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 11:23:03 +0100

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 12:04 AM, Kai Sterker <address@hidden> wrote:

> So here is a suggestion (see attached image). Naturally, I got the
> proportions wrong, but assume for a moment those squares are 64x48
> instead of square.
>
> What I propose is the following:
>
> * Walls are not lined up with floor tiles, but overlap the border of 2
> floor tiles instead.
> * With 4 corner tiles, 4 T pieces, one X and (not present) a vertical
> and horizontal piece, we have all the pieces we need to tile wall
> pieces in any way we want.
[...]
> Tile sizes would be as follows (assuming 10px wall width):
>
> Corners: 69x53
> T - Pieces 128x53 and 69x48
> X - Piece 128x96
> | - Piece 10x96
> _ - Piece 128x10

Lacking any opposition or improvements on that idea, I will go ahead
with that and use the weekend to create proper wall tiles for Redwyne
Inn main floors and cellar. I hope to build the map and add in all
NPCs, hopefully with their dialogue as far as that is possible.

> Now, here's something more to think about: wall height. Currently, the
> walls in the WE map have a height of 128px (about 2,5m), which poses a
> big problem: characters vanish behind those walls and need to move
> quite a bit away from it to become visible. If you look at games with
> similar perspective, you'd often find, that wall and character height
> matched pretty well, so that at least the top of a character's head
> would be visible when close to a wall. In v0.3, we got around this by
> making the front walls transparent, but this is no easy option in
> v0.4, as it would have to happen dynamically. So for a start, should
> we make walls a bit less tall? 100px should still be fine (~ 2.0m) and
> would leave room for doorways too.

Again, lacking better ideas, I will change wall height to 100px. It's
still higher than a character, but not as extreme as before.

Kai

P.S: I really get to appreciate the work of James and Alex on the v0.3
gfx and map. That stuff isn't as easy as it looks. Kudos for
assembling it with nothing but a python script where I am struggling
with a graphical editor!