adonthell-artwork

Re: [Adonthell-artwork] Re: Jelom Rasgar Sprite Test

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-artwork] Re: Jelom Rasgar Sprite Test
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 20:31:12 +0200

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 2:45 AM, Ingo Ruhnke <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am not going to animate them anytime soon, as its probably more
> important to focus on the environment graphics next.

Yep, I agree. The way they are now, they are much more perfect
placeholders than NG ever was.   World creation is another important
piece, and we'll need designs of the areas for that and from that the
respective tiles and objects.

Nevertheless, I have two remarks regarding the characters, which means
all the others are perfect IMO :-).

Kidalethil: he seems a bit small to me (in contrast to Coris, who
clearly is the tallest of all the characters). Also, his clothes look
a bit too modern and simple. I think you might at least consider
adding some embroidery, so that it looks nobler than what any of the
others are wearing.

Marcella: she'd be okay for an NPC, but as main character who will be
on screen all the time she looks a bit bland to me. Maybe it's the
colors (all brown) or that she looks a bit masculine with those broad
shoulders (or is it some kind of armor she wears?). I think as main
character, she'd have to be a bit more ... special (for lack of a
better description).

I remember that with v0.3, the main character was the first sprite
Benjamin had made (and for that it was good). But after he'd done all
the others, he wasn't really happy with it anymore. So it got a
makeover and ended up the most detailed and fancy of all. I think the
same needs to be true for Marcella.

Anyway, hope you don't mind if my complaints are longer than my
praise. I can't really say how much I appreciate your help :-). And
like I said, practically all of the characters are wonderful, easy to
recognize and distinct from each other. Just from looking at the
sprites I could match names to most of them immediately.

Kai