adonthell-artwork

[Adonthell-artwork] sample map

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-artwork] sample map
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 22:04:53 +0200

I was kinda bored, so I drew this. Don't take it too serious (otherwise
I'd post to the plot list instead). The main point is to demonstrate the
stuff I said about map design. Basically, we should make good use of all
three dimensions we have.

I.e paths from A to B shouldn't be straight. Otherwise there wouldn't be
room for hidden shortcuts and much of the terrain would be unused.
Tunnels or canyons allow several paths to share the same terrain without
crossing. (At least there's no way to get from one path to the other.)

The actual terrain can be more diverse of course, with more ragged edges
and winding roads. I just didn't want to invest too much time ;).

Anyway, hope that gives some food for thought and inspiration for the
real map. One idea I had was to divide it into rectangles of 2x2 or 3x3
screens in size. Each such rectangle would contain (at least) on
'secret', subquest or other thing of interest. But then again, it might
get too predictible that way ...

Anyway, enjoy!

Kai